Memorial Day is here and the effects and subsequent restrictions of the COVID-19 outbreak are still being felt in our community. While we are not yet back to the point of normalcy by any means, several restrictions have been or are being lifted in the near future that will allow us to resume operations in a very limited capacity. The following is an update on our operations here at Wyandotte County Sports Association.
- Update on our operations amid COVID-19. Organized sports activities are permitted to resume in a limited and restricted capacity under Phase 2 of the Re-Open Kansas plan outlined by Kansas Governor Laura Kelly. With the recent announcement by Mayor David Alvey of Wyandotte county to abandon the ReStart Wyco recovery plan and adhere to the state recovery plan, our association will now honor and comply with the Ad Astra: A Plan to Reopen Kansas phases and corresponding guidlines.
- Season Start Date. WYCO plans on starting league games for the 2020 Summer season during the week of June 15th. By this time we hope to be in Phase 3 of the recovery plan which eases restrictions put in place during Phase 2. In particular, Phase 3 raises limits on numbers of spectators allowed in to the complex and eases limitations on facility operations.This date is subject to change dependent on any county and/or state guidelines, directives, executive order or additional restrictions.
- Season Format and Length. Our plan is to offer as close to a normal season as possible to our teams and players. There will be changes due to circumstances, including limiting the number of games per night and staggered game start times to control the number of players and spectators in the ballpark at any given time. Restrictions will be placed on how long before scheduled game times teams may enter the complex and all spectators, players and coaches will be required to leave the complex at the conclusion of their scheduled game. As restrictions are eased during our progression through the phased recovery approach some of these limitations will be relaxed, but we expect many to persist throughout our summer season. Teams can expect to play up to 2 games/ week with Saturday's being used for overflow and make-up games. More details on game day operations will be available after June 1st on our COVID-19 information page. We will release team schedules when final team counts are formed.
- Player/ Spectator Safety Policies and Procedures. Please check our COVID-19 information page for the latest updates on player and spectator policies and procedures. It is highly recommend that each player add antibacterial wipes, hand sanitizer and a personal water bottle to their equipment bags for the 2020 season. Sharing of batting helmets, hats, gloves (fielding and batting) and catchers equipment among players is strongly discouraged (prohibited in the case of catchers equipment). WYCO has a limited supply of donated equipment to check out to team managers for any individual player that cannot provide the necessary items personally. If you have equipment that you would be willing to donate for use during the 2020 season please e-mail email@example.com.
- Registration/ Team Assignment. Players who are not currently registered for the 2020 Summer season at WYCO will NOT be allowed to participate in any practice or game activity at the complex. Please register your player as soon as possible. Registration will remain open through June 8th to allow time for all players to properly register. Team rosters will be distributed to managers over the next few days, expect to hear from your assigned team manager by the next weekend (5/31). Due to the decrease of player registrations over the past 2 months, we have not been able to assign every player to a team. Our hope is that as we receive more registrations we will be able to get as many players assigned as possible. Unfortunately, due to the circumstances, it is likely that we will not be able to field teams in every baseball or softball division that is typically offered. Any player not assigned to a team will have their registration fees fully refunded.
- Refund for Financial Hardship due to COVID-19. Refunds requested for financial hardship due to COVID-19 are being processed at this time. There is currently a 3 week delay between the request for refund being made and the refund being processed. Refunds requested from 5/4 thru 5/10 will be processed between 5/25 and 5/31. We will continue to work to shorten this time, but please expect between 1-3 weeks from the time of the request to the processing of the refund.
- Field Availability for Practices. WYCO fields will be available for practices beginning Tuesday, May 26th. Team managers may request practice field time via e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org). Several restrictions will be placed on practice activity. A list of practice rules is available on our COVID-19 page.
Thank you all for your patience and understanding during this time, we will continue to work towards a fun season for your players and appreciate your participation in ensuring that our players, coaches, spectators and staff are as safe as possible. The timetable for our progression is still somewhat uncertain and all dates are subject to change.